Saturday, January 20, 2007

I read sometimes...

At the expense of being made fun of by all of my readers, I must admit, that from time to time, I read books. There, I said it. The wife and I were at a party one time and this guy was making fun of his wife by telling us all the stupid things she did. His final piece of evidence that his wife was a moron consisted of the fact that she read. Not magazines mind you, but this guy's wife actually read books.

I just finished a biography of Mark Twain by Ron Powers. When I was about half way through, I told the wife that the book was boring the hell out of me. It got a little better towards the end, even though I knew what would happen. The interesting tid bit from the book was this quote from Twain about the US occupation of the Philippians in 1900. "But now - why, we have got into a mess, a quagmire from which each fresh step renders the difficulty of extrication immensely greater. I'm sure I wish I could see what we were getting out of it, and all it means to us as a nation." It looks like Mark Twain was the first person to describe a US war as a quagmire!

4 comments:

LaShay said...

Didn't Mark write a biography on Jimmy Carter reacently? Of was he the one who acts on the Departed?
I also am a reader

Naarski (the Mrs.) said...

Isn't La-Shay a teacher? Dear lord.

cowboy said...

I'm glad you are reading.

JADA said...

I have a grandpa quigmire- does that count?